Sunday, March 21, 2010

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is killing me.

I have knitting books and loose patterns that I have been gathering since the 1980's. The books sit nicely on the shelf but you know how it goes with patterns - one stuck as a book mark in this book, that print out getting torn crammed between two books over there, the whole stack of loose patterns spilling onto the floor whenever I am in a hurry, never being able to find "that particular pattern" when I really want it.

A few weeks ago I decided I had had enough when I couldn't find a pattern that was always the one that jumped out at me whenever I was looking for another pattern. I went to the dollar store, had my daughter pick out a binder for me (she chose a green one covered in pink and purple butterflies) and bought several packages of page protectors.

When I got home, I took those 20+ years of loose patterns and tucked each one into a nice little protective case and put them in the binder. It was great - sweaters in one section, mittens in another, one for socks - you get the picture. I had just bought several new patterns and was especially excited about how easy it was going to be to keep track of them.

I took the book to knitting group and shared it with some friends there. I got a call to pick one of my kids up from school, scooped the book back into my bag, and carried on with my day. The next few days were busy - I did some knitting but had no time to think about new knitting projects.

Guess what?

I can't find the binder anywhere. I have cleaned up my entire house, even my closet (!) and there is no sign of it. All those patterns - gone. Yarn just arrived for one of the patterns in that binder but it has to wait. I can't bring myself to repurchase a pattern I just bought a couple of months ago. I can't believe that after a couple of decades of being stuffed into nooks and crannies, putting all of my beloved patterns into a protective case was the worst thing I could have done to them.

If you were a binder full of gorgeous knitting patterns, where would you hide?

No comments: